The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, says the board will not extend its registration deadline.
This was in reaction to protests by some secondary school students in Edo and Lagos States, southern Nigeria, over the closure of the registration portal in ahead of the 2016 examination for admission to universities.
In a statement signed by its Head of Media,Dr Fabian Benjamin, in Abuja, it said that “the board sympathises with the candidates who were given about seven months to register ” adding that the board needed to prepare for the examination that would start on the 29th of February.
It would be recalled that some students on Friday, in Edo and Lagos States protested against an alleged sudden closure of the JAMB online registration portal.
The statement reads; “The attention of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has been drawn to the protest by some alleged UTME candidates in Benin and Lagos. The candidates were said to be protesting over the closure of the Board’s registration portal in preparation for the 2016 Examination which is due to begin in less than a week from today.
The Board sincerely sympathizes with the plight of these prospective candidates and states as it is the wish of the Board that Nigerian youth desirous of tertiary education are given ample opportunity to register for its examination which was why it began the sale of its application documents last year August, which is about seven months ago.
In the advertisement for the sale of the registration documents, the Board clearly stated that the sales would close by January, but due to public appeal it extended the registration process to February,” Dr Benjamin added.
He disclosed that the closure was also to allow the Board prepare adequately for the examination slated for the end of February emphasizing that the Board would not allow candidates to register perpetually.
“Jamb has a time table and it adheres strictly to it to allow the tertiary institutions begin the process of admission early. We all must work to enshrine the culture of discipline in the system and ensure that tertiary institutions calendars progress as planned.”
The board said it was quite unfortunate that some candidates waited until their website was withdrawn before making attempts to register.
“The scenario looks very suspicious, for a candidate who is billed to sit for an examination slated for February to suddenly appear in the same February protesting his inability to register less than a week to the examination when he/she knew that the registration was too close in the same month.
Over 1.5 million candidates have applied within this period and the Board has made adequate preparation for them to sit for the 2016 exercise.
However, it is common knowledge that one of the challenges of public examination in Nigeria is examination malpractice and one of the antics of the perpetrators of these acts is to force the Board into establishing a special center where late candidates will be bunched together to perpetrate exam malpractice.
There are no special centers any more because they are being used as insecurity avenues”, he said.
The JAMB official added that the Board was working tirelessly to conduct one of the best examinations globally.
On the posting of some candidates to far distances, he said that “the Board will like to correct the misconception created by candidates that the Board posted them to far away examination centres. The Board doesn’t post candidates to examination towns. Candidates chose the town of their choice while we send them to centres within their chosen towns” he concluded.