Attacker killed at Orly airport in Paris

Security forces say no second attacker at the airport.

A man has been shot dead after grabbing a soldier’s weapon at Orly airport in Paris.

He was killed by the security forces in a shop after seizing the gun in the airport’s southern terminal.

The airport has been shut after what the authorities described as an ‘extremely serious incident.’

“The man was on a watch-list of radicalised individuals and had been involved in a shooting hours earlier in the north of Paris,’’ officials say.

The suspect in the earlier incident was stopped at a checkpoint and fired at police before escaping in a car that was later found abandoned in the southern suburbs.

Security operation continues
A security operation is continuing at the airport with bomb disposal experts involved and a search for any possible accomplices.

Police say “the attacker was not carrying any explosives.’’

No-one else was hurt in the incident.

Orly, located 13km (8 miles) south of Paris is the capital’s second largest airport.

Police have warned people to stay away from the security cordon and people intending to travel to Orly have been advised to make alternative arrangements as all flights in and out of the airport have been suspended.

Scores of passengers have been unable to disembark from aircraft that landed at Orly as the huge security operation takes place.

Officials say “the man approached a group of soldiers patrolling the airport and made off with the weapon into a shop.’’

Motivation yet unknown
At that point shots were fired and the man was killed. His motivation is not yet known.

The soldiers were part of Operation Sentinel,  involving thousands of soldiers deployed to provide back-up to the police after the Paris attacks of November 2015.

Presidential elections
France has presidential elections starting from next month and remains under a state of emergency following earlier attacks.

Witnesses said the airport was evacuated soon after the shooting.

“We were sitting in Hall Three when all of a sudden people started running and telling us to run with them,” Ellie Guttetter, 18, from the US said.

“The people running were passengers and flight attendants. It was pretty chaotic and everyone was panicking, it was scary,’’ Guttetter added.

BBC/Mercy Chukwudiebere