Exam body releases 1.6m results for 2017 admission

By Temitope Mustapha, Abuja

A cross-section of candidates writing the 2017 JAMB and UTME computer based examination.

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB says over 1, 606,901 results of candidates who sat for the 2017 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations has been released.

The Board’s Registrar, Professor Ishaq Oloyede made this known in Abuja while briefing journalists on the just concluded Admission examinations into higher Institutions in Nigeria.

Professor Oloyede says “six weeks into the registration, we harvested in preparation for the exam about 1.7 million registrations. But so far, we have released the results of 1,606,901 candidates leaving us with a balance of 80,889.

“Out of this 80,889, we have deliberately withheld 76,925 results for further investigation due to some alleged malpractices while 4000 were victims of fraudulent activities in some private Computer Based Centres (CBT) where exams were held across the country.”

He explained that if found not guilty after investigations, the results of these candidates would be released before the commencement of next admission exercise.

Out of the 1.7 million candidates who registered for the exams only 640 were not able to write the 2017 UTME due to their inability to successfully do the Biometric verification of the candidates by the same fraudulent private service providers.

“In this case, the students are not guilty of the offence and hence will be made to write the exam again under my own supervision,” Professor Oloyede said.

Extension of registration deadline
According to him, the board extended the Registration deadline as requested by Nigerians through the House of Representative which led to late registration of 3,811 candidates.

“These candidates registered while the board had begun conduct of exams for the initial candidates who registered between March 20 and April 19,” he stated.

Exam malpractices
Professor Oloyede lamented what he described as high intensity of exam malpractices, saying that some parents connived with some Private Computer based test centre owners paying huge sum of money to help their wards fraudulently in getting high score from the exams.

He noted that no Jamb questions were used twice in the 2017 UTME, but the board standardised its questions.

“JAMB discovered some private CBT centres deliberately disconnected servers from the network to quickly gain access to our questions because our software is programmed in a way that our questions are wiped off after each exam session. So we beat these criminally minded people to it but they lied to students and sold fake questions with fake answers,” he said.

2018 UTME results
Professor Oloyede emphasised that the 2018 UTME results of the exams would not be released immediately as the board would follow best international practices, which is to release examination results after clearing and taking care of all issues of concerns about the exams.

“I released the results of the 2017 UTME exams within 24hrs to clear doubt on individuals who felt we could not do it but that is not the best international practice as the results are only meant to be released after two weeks, that is after all issues are taken care of,” he stated.

Electronic jammers
The Jamb Registrar stressed that for the 2018 UTME, the board would use electronic jammers in all computer based centres to further reduce malpractices.

“Our intention is to let the fraudsters know that it is better for them to prepare the students for exams than to attempt to cheat “
he said.

Professor Oloyede called on Public institutions and Religious institutions not to let out their premises to fraudulent Private Computer based test centre owners.

He advised candidates having issues or any form of correction to go to designated JAMB CBT centres and do it for free.
Mercy Chukwudiebere