Ten guards killed in Libya’s Sirte bomb attack

Forces loyal to Libya's UN-backed unity government attempt to evacuate a passenger stuck inside a vehicle after it caught on fire following a car-bomb attack nearby carried out by an Islamic State (IS) group jihadist at the western entrance of Sirte on June 2, 2016. According to Libyan officials fighting resumed on June 1 on the outskirts of Sirte between their forces and jihadist during which three pro-government troops had been killed and 10 more wounded. Sirte was the hometown of slain dictator Moamer Kadhafi and, since seizing it in June last year, IS has turned it into a recruitment and training camp / AFP PHOTO / MAHMUD TURKIA

Ten Libyan presidential guards were killed when an IS suicide bomb attack hit a police station located in the outskirts of Sirte, media office of the presidential guards announced.

The attack took place at dawn in the nearby town of Abo-Gren, the office said. The government forces also announced that the IS launched two car bomb attacks but the two bombs exploded before hitting the troops.

The government forces have been engaged in a violent war in the city of Sirte, some 450 km east the capital Tripoli, since May, which have killed and injured hundreds of the government forces.

The presidential guards are formed by the UN-backed unity government to fight against the IS.

The media office of the presidential guards said that they have controlled most of the city. The terrorist group has launched seven suicide bomb attacks on the government forces since Sunday.

Sirte, the hometown of the late leader Muammar Gaddafi, was dominated by the IS for over a year.

 

 

 

Xinhua/Zainab Sa’id