The six kidnapped school boys of Lagos State Model College, Epe, have finally regained freedom after over two months in their abductors den.
The male students namely- Peter Jonah, Isiaq Rahmon, Adebayo George, Judah Agbausi, Pelumi Philips and Farouq Yusuf, were abducted on Thursday, May 25, 2017, by some gunmen from their school premises.
Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr Fatai Owoseni has confirmed the development.
A source close to the Lagos State Government under the condition of anonymity told Voice of Nigeria that the boys were released in Ondo State and were on their way back to Lagos.
Meanwhile, the Lagos State Government has expressed excitement over the release of the Model College students.
The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Steve Ayorinde congratulated the parents of the students and all concerned stakeholders over the development.
Mr Ayorinde said the students would undergo series of medical tests and trauma therapy before they being reunited with their families.
“This is a welcome development and the State Government has always believed that the students would be released unhurt. The news of their release is therefore a confirmation of that belief and we are glad that they would be reuniting with their families,” Ayorinde said.
According to him, the State Government remains resolute in its commitment to ensure the safety of lives and property of residents in the State and has already beefed up security in schools to prevent a re-occurrence.
“It is on record that the Governor Akinwunmi Ambode-led administration has invested massively on equipment and welfare of security personnel so as to ensure that the State remains safe for residents and investors.
“This Government has already taken giant steps to secure all our schools especially those in the suburbs and coastal areas and we are confident that the steps taken so far will go a long way in nipping a repeat of such in the bud,” the Commissioner added.
The Commissioner also quoted Governor Ambode as commending the efforts of security agencies who worked tirelessly to ensure the safe release and return of the students.
Details of release
Reports have it that the students were released to the Ondo State government delegation led by the Deputy Governor, Mr Agboola Ajayi, at exactly 1am on Friday.
A government source revealed that the abductors released the students to the Deputy Governor between Ajapa in Ese- Odo local government and Ugbonla in Ilaje local government of the state.
The source hinted that the Ondo state government had been negotiating the released of the students for ten days before they were eventually released.
According to the source, the kidnappers who were from the riverine area of the state, had earlier vowed not to release the six children in their custody to any state aside Ondo state government because of undisclosed reasons.
He said, this development made the state governor, Mr Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, to direct his deputy, to ensure the release of the students by all means.
The source stressed that the Deputy Governor and his Chief of Staff, Mr Donald Ojogo, who both hailed from the area, personally went to the creeks to secure the release of the abducted children.