Lagos begins prosecution of Lekki gardens contractors

Eniola Ajayi, Lagos

Collapsed Lekki building

The Lagos State Government says it is set to commence the prosecution of the suspects linked to the collapse of a five-story building which led to the death of 30 persons.

Legal advice ended
The State’s Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Adeniji Kazeem said that government had concluded its legal advice on the incident and was ready to prosecute a total of nine suspects deemed culpable in the collapse of the building.

“Following the conclusion of investigation by the Nigerian Police Force and technical reports of relevant experts, my office has concluded its Legal Advice and decided to prosecute the suspects for failure to obtain Planning Permit contrary to the provisions of the Urban and Regional Planning and Development Law, Ch. CU2 and Involuntary Manslaughter contrary to the provisions of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, Ch. C17, Laws of Lagos State, 2015 respectively,” Mr Kazeem stated.

Criminal charge
The Attorney General said a criminal charge had already been filed before the High Court against the suspects and would be arraigned on the alleged offence any moment from now.

“Government will leave no stone unturned to ensure that criminal negligence and any form of crime is duly brought to book,’’ he said.

Retrospect
On Tuesday 8th March, 2016 at about 05:00hrs, a property being built by Messrs Lekki Gardens Estate Limited and Horizon 1 Extension, House H15, Lekki, Lagos State, collapsed claiming the lives of 30 people.

Mercy Chukwudiebere