Morocco arrests IS-linked suspects

Security services have arrested two men with suspected links to the Islamic State (IS) group, the Moroccan interior ministry said.

The ministry said in a statement that the arrested, who belong to the southern cities of Guelmim and Tan-Tan, were seeking to obtain products used in explosive devices.

It added that one of the suspects is the brother of one member with the recently-busted all-female cell.

On Sept. 21, the interior ministry said that for the first time an all-female cell had been busted, the latest among the militant cells Morocco has dismantled.

The arrested women, mostly minors aged 15 and 17, planned a suicide attack on Oct. 7, Director of Morocco’s Central Bureau of Judicial Investigations (BCIJ) Abdelhak Khiame said earlier this month.

Morocco has faced a growing threat from the IS. The Moroccan Interior Ministry revealed that since 2002, more than 160 terrorist cells have been destroyed, which had close ties with terrorist groups active in Iraq and Syria.



Xinhua/Zainab Sa’id