Newcastle sacks manager

Steve McClaren has been sacked as manager of English Premier League strugglers, Newcastle United with “immediate effect”, the north-east club announced Friday.

Newcastle are second-bottom in the table and facing relegation despite spending some £29 million ($41 million, 37 million Euros) on new players during the January transfer window in a bid to avoid the drop.

Former England manager, McClaren’s position at St James’ Park had been the subject of intense speculation for several days following Newcastle’s 3-1 loss at home to Bournemouth on Saturday.

Time to move on
The club apologized to McClaren for the ensuing uncertainty over his position after the Bournemouth reverse but they said now was the time to end his nine months in charge, with Newcastle having won just six of their 28 league games so far this season and only Aston Villa below them in the table.

A statement from Newcastle said that, “After the defeat to Bournemouth on Saturday the club has spent some time considering its position and has today concluded that Steve McClaren’s employment with the club will end with immediate effect.”

It further stated that, “We acknowledge that reaching this decision has taken a number of days and that this has caused uncertainty for everyone involved, in particular for Steve and the players, for which we apologize.”

Former Liverpool and Real Madrid boss Rafael Benitez has been touted as a possible successor to McClaren, but Newcastle’s statement said: “A further announcement on a successor to Steve will be made in due course.”

 

Sammie