Nigeria to hand over UN house soon 

Hudu Yakubu, Abuja

The bombing of the U.N. building in Nigeria’s capital, Abuja, claimed 23 lives and wounded 81 people on Aug. 26, 2011.

The Nigerian government says it paid all outstanding bills to the contractor handling the rehabilitation of the United Nations office in Abuja, noting that the work is expected to be completed soon.

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Muhammad Bello stated this at the official signing ceremony of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework Joint FCT/UN Annual Work Plan for 2016 in Abuja.

Achieving target
Mr. Bello revealed that the contractor has gone back to site and was working steadily to achieve the set target.

He noted that the components remaining would be the security infrastructure and the furnishing of the complex, which would be quickly handled.

Early this year we made some payments to the contractors to be able to complete their own aspect of the job. The remaining aspect that has to do with the security infrastructure in the building, we held discussions and we created a team between the two organisations to identify where the challenges are and try to look at what can be funded as quickly as possible for you to be able to move into the office,” he noted.

The FCT Minister stated that, “we have made arrangements for funding in this year’s financial estimate so that we will be able to get the needed funds and work towards the deadline that we have all put for ourselves.

Mr Bello noted that, the FCT administration has appreciated the support the United Nations had been giving to the Territory as well as other states of the federation.

He promised that the administration would jointly work with the UN to ensure that the interventions are expeditiously carried out for the common good of humanity.

Partnership
The Minister assured that the FCT administration would promptly release its counterpart funding to get all the interventions moving as envisaged.

On her part, the United Nations Resident/Humanitarian Coordinator, Ms. Fatima Samoura applauded the growing partnership between FCT and the United Nations family in Nigeria, which she said has manifested in many areas.

Ms. Samoura explained that under UNDAF II (2009-2013), FCT was one of the pioneer 6+1 states for the delivering as one self-starter approach and that the cooperation was yielded fruitful results.

She recalled that under the 2015 Joint FCT/UN UNDAF III Annual Work Plan, an average of 48 percent of the planned objectives for which $5.4 million was budgeted and co-funded by the UN System and the FCTA was achieved.

A total number of 100 activities have been programmed for implementation in the year 2016 with an estimated budget of $43.33 million. The UN System will be contributing about 41.41 percent of the funds and the FCTA contributing the remaining 58.59 percent,” Ms. Samoura added.

The UN Coordinator conveyed the appreciation of the UN System in Nigeria for the continuous support and hospitality enjoyed from the FCT Administration.

 

Sammie