Presidency debunks Senator Saraki’s allegations

Ben Adam Shemang

The Presidency has washed its hands off the trial of the Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki; Deputy Senate President, Mr Ike Ekweremadu and two others.

In a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, the presidency said it was ” saddened by the fact that the President of the Senate, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, claims there is “now a government within the government of President Buhari”, which has allegedly seized the apparatus of Executive powers to pursue a nefarious agenda.”

The statement  says that the claim by Senator Saraki would have been worth the while, if it had been backed with more information.

“If he had proceeded to identify those who constitute the“government within the government,” it would have taken the issue beyond the realm of fiction and mere conjecture.

The presidency is of the opinion that the allegation is not even worth the paper on which it was written, “as anybody can wake from a troubled sleep, and say anything”.

The stand of government is that, the law should take its course.The Attorney-General of the Federation is the Chief Law Officer of the state. It is within his constitutional powers to determine who has infringed upon the law, and who has not Pretending to carry an imaginary cross is mere obfuscation, if, indeed, a criminal act has been committed. But we leave the courts to judge”.

The statement debunked the claim that President Muhammadu Buhari was anybody’s stooge, describing it as  “not only ridiculous, but also preposterous. It is not in the character of our President”.

It would be recalled that the senate president , his Deputy Ike Ekweremadu and two others are standing trial for alleged forgery of senate election by-laws that brought them to power.

Some members of the ruling All Progressives Congress had petitioned the police alleging that the senate laws had been changed to favour the accused.

After federal high court granted them bail, Dr Saraki personally signed a statement in which he accused President Muhammadu Buhari of being behind his ordeal in what he calls “trumped up” charge.

The case has been adjourned  to July 11 2016.