America’s Serena Williams has remained in the number one position in the WTA rankings released on Monday despite loss to Spain’s Garbine Muguruza in the French Open finals .
It marked her third failed attempt to win a 22nd singles Grand Slam title, which would tie the Open-era record set by Steffi Graf.
Poland’s Agnieszka Radwanska and German Angelique Kerber both dropped a spot to fourth and fifth positions.
French Open semi-finalists Kiki Bertens of the Netherlands and Australian Samantha Stosur both jumped up the standings.
Bertens moved from 58th to 27th, while Stosur vaulted 10 places to 14th. Czech Lucie Safarova, losing Roland Garros finalist in 2015, paid for her third-round exit this season by dropping 16 places to 29th.
WTA top 20:
- Serena Williams (USA) 8,330
- Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 6,766
- Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 6,080
- Angelique Kerber (GER) 5,620
- Simona Halep (ROM) 4,471
- Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 3,405
- Roberta Vinci (ITA) 3,405
- Belinda Bencic (SUI) 3,260
- Venus Williams (USA) 3,116
- Timea Bacsinszky (SUI) 2,800
- Petra Kvitova (CZE) 2,768
- Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 2,755
- Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 2,723
- Samantha Stosur (AUS) 2,700
- Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) 2,695
- Madison Keys (USA) 2,592
- Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 2,360
- Johanna Konta 2,250
- Elina Svitolina (UKR) 2,226
- Sloane Steven (USA) 2,150