Tigray conflict: Ethiopia accuses international community of ‘double standards’

425

The Ethiopian government on Wednesday accused the international community of responding with “dead silence” to belligerence by the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF).
The Ethiopian Prime Minister’s spokesperson, Billen Seyoum, said the armed group is escalating its violence by attacking regional states, killing civilians and forcibly recruiting children to use them as soldiers.
Billen further accused the international community of being mute when civilians are being used as human shields by the group that Addis Ababa has declared a terror entity.
“Clear double standards seem to be at play in the silence towards TPLF’s harrassment and overt belligerence” Billen said.
The Prime Minister’s office also expressed concern over the safety of Eritrean refugees being sheltered at camps in Tigray region.
At least six Eritrean refugees have so far been killed but it is not clear by who, Seyoum said.
Addis Ababa’s accusations come as TPLF forces keep penetrating deeper into Afar and Amhara regions, capturing key towns on both fronts.

Olajumoke Adeleke/EA

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: