The World Health Organisation (World Health Organisation) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda following rising fatalities linked to the disease.
The outbreak, which has so far been classified as a public health emergency of international concern, has recorded 80 suspected deaths attributed to the Bundibugyo virus.
According to the WHO, “while the situation does not meet the criteria for a global pandemic emergency, there remains a high risk of cross-border transmission to neighbouring countries sharing land borders with the Democratic Republic of Congo.”
In a statement released on Sunday, the UN health agency reported 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases, and 246 suspected cases as of Saturday in the Ituri province, across health zones including Bunia, Rwampara, and Mongbwalu.
One case was ​confirmed in the eastern Congolese city of Goma, a statement by M23 rebels said.
Ebola response incident manager at the U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, Satish Pillai, on Sunday declined to confirm whether any Americans were among those infected, but stressed that the risk to the United States remains low.
CDC officials told reporters that the agency has activated its emergency response centre for the outbreak and plans to send more people to its offices in the DRC and Uganda.
The U.S. Embassy in the DRC issued a health alert on Sunday, reminding U.S. citizens that the State Department advises Americans not to travel to the Ituri province and that the U.S. government ​is “extremely limited in its ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens” in the area.
“Do not travel to this area for any reason,” the alert said.
Reuters/Shakirat Sadiq
