Abuja-Kaduna Train: Transportation Ministry enhances Security measures

Shiktra Shalangwa

0 1,003

The Nigerian Minister of Transportation, Mr Mua’zu Sambo says security measures have been put in place for the resumption of Abuja -Kaduna train services

The Minister who stated this while inspecting and test-running the train on the Abuja-Kaduna route said there was ninety percent readiness on security measures for the commencement of the train services.

”I think we are 90 per cent ready as far as what we are set out to do is concerned.

”The remaining 10 per cent I am sure would be achieved in the next couple of days for full resumption of train services.

Mr Sambo added that “Certain concrete measures that are feasible include the ticketing. Security starts from ticketing so now you don’t buy a ticket unless you have a valid phone number and you have a NIN.

”And if you are a foreigner you also have a means of identification you can use which is produced by the National Identity management Commission.

” Having secured your ticket, you will not get access to the lounge until the machine reads the barcode in your receipt.

”Your details will show and your complete profile will show on the screen. Only then will you be allowed to go into the lounge. This is what we call customer profiling. 

”I travelled from Idu to Rigasa in order to assess the state of readiness of train services between Abuja and Kaduna.

 ”A number of measures have been put in place in order to ensure that life and property will be secured when we resume services and I am satisfied with what I have seen. 

”Of course, there are one or two three areas that need to be addressed. We’re going to address them immediately,” Sambo said.

According to the Minister, there will be an increased number of security personnel some of which may not be wearing uniforms in order to guarantee the safety of passengers.

He said; ”The other thing is that for every journey, the train is monitored every second and the train driver can see up to a certain distance. 

”If there is any threats on the track, that would enable him march the break before getting to the perceived threat.” 

The Minister said it was expected that people naturally, would not be comfortable to come back to board the train.

He said as human beings we were bound to feel a little bit uncomfortable until we see that every security measures had been put in place.

”We will reduce the number of trips and as the traveling population picks up, we will increase the number of trips but we will certainly not travel at night,” he said.

Mr Sambo further said that some other sensitive equipment which would not be disclosed had also been put in place.

On fares, he said discussions were in place and the fares could be increased.

”My assurance to Nigerians is that even I myself will be using the train, and other of my counterparts who have homes in Kaduna.

”Infact from next week they will start using this train so I am giving Nigerians full assurance that a human being can give that this train is safe for them to be use.

” There is absolutely nothing to fear. We have learnt from what has happened and life is about learning lessons and adopting measures with the lessons. 

”As a responsible government, we have seen those lessons and we have deviced appropriate measures to counter it and like I always say that I was not going to allow this train to resume until everybody in captivity was released and to the glory of God I have achieved that.

It would be recalled that the Abuja-Kaduna train services were suspended due to terrorists attack on March 28 which led to loss of lives and the kidnap of some passengers that were all later released.

 

PIAK

 

 

 

 

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.