The National Broadcasting Commission in Nigeria has announced the revocation of the operation licenses of the Africa Independent Television (AIT), Raypower FM, Silverbird television, and Rhythm FM, among others media houses, including both private and government owned.
At a press briefing in Abuja on Friday, the Director General of the Commission, Mallam Balarabe Shehua Ilelah disclosed that the simple reason behind the revocation was due to the inability or refusal of the stations to renew their operation licenses fees over time in spite of several warnings.
The Director General of the NBC, also directed its state offices to work with security operatives to ensure that the stations are shut down within the next 24 hours.
He however made it clear that the revocation action cuts across all entities and there was no political undertone whatsoever to it.
Also, the Commission called on all IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) and all other broadcast stations that are streaming online to register with the Commission to avoid disconnection. Broadcasters should note that, having a DTT or FM license does not warrant a broadcaster to stream online; they are two different licenses, he stated.
With this action, Mallam Ilelah advised other Broadcast stations that have not renewed their licenses for the current duration to do so within the next 30 days to avoid sanctions.
“In May 2022, the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) published in the National Dailies, the list of licensees that are indebted to the Commission, and granted them two weeks to renew their licenses and pay their debts or consider their licenses revoked, frequencies withdrawn and the withdrawn frequencies reassigned to others who are ready to abide by the necessary requirements.
“Three months after the publication, some licensees are yet to pay their outstanding debts, in contravention of the National Broadcasting Commission Act CAP N11, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, particularly section 10(a) of the third schedule of the Act. In view of this development, the continued operation of the debtor-stations is illegal and constitutes a threat to national security.
“Therefore, after due consideration, the NBC hereby announces the revocation of the licenses of the under-listed stations and gives them 24 hours to shut down their operations. Our offices nationwide are hereby directed to collaborate with security agencies to ensure immediate compliance.”
However when asked about the relationship between the revocation and the paucity of funds in the federal system, he said there is no relationship. However, he said the same license fee is part of revenue to be used to service the system which is natural. He said the NBC was simply doing the assigned mandate given to it by law and expects entities to obey the laws of the land.
While answering question from newsmen at the briefing the DG said there was nothing draconian about the action, he said rather, the refusal to obey the law is what is draconian.
Here is the list of affected stations:
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Abuja
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Lagos
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Yenagoa
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Port Harcourt
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Jos
- Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communication Ltd) Benin
- AIT/Ray Power FM (DAAR Communication ltd) Network
- Greetings FM (Greetings Media Ltd)
- FM Network Tao FM (Ovidi Communications Ltd)
- FM Okene, Zuma FM (Zuma FM Ltd)
- FM Suleja Crowther FM (Crowther Communications Ltd) FM Abuja
- We FM (Kings Broadcasting Ltd)
- FM Benin Linksman International Itd
- Keffi Bomay Broadcasting Services Ltd Abuja
- MITV (Murhi International Group Ltd) Ibadan
- Classic FM (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Port-Harcourt
- Classic FM (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Lagos
- Classic TV (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Lagos
- Beat FM (Megalectrics LTD) Lagos
- Cooper Communications Ltd Lagos
- Splash FM (West Midlands Ltd) Ibadan
- Osun State Broadcasting Corporation
- Rock City FM (Boot Communications Ltd) Abeokuta
- Family FM (Kalaks Investments Nig. Ltd) Ilugun
- Space FM (Creazioni Nig. Ltd) Ibadan
- Radio Jeremi (Radio Jeremi Itd) Effurun
- Breeze FM (Bays Water Ltd) Akure
- Vibes FM (Vibes Communication Ltd) Benin
- Family Love FM (Multimesh Broadcasting Co. Ltd) Port-Harcourt
- Wave FM (South Atlantic Media Ltd)
- Kogi State Broadcasting Corporation
- Kwara State Broadcasting Corporation
- Niger State Broadcasting Corporation
- Gombe State Broadcasting Corporation
- Lagos State Broadcasting Corporation
- Ogun State Broadcasting Corporation
- Ondo State Broadcasting Corporation
- Rivers State Broadcasting Corporation
- Bayelsa State Broadcasting Corporation
- Cross River State Broadcasting Corporation
- Imo State Broadcasting Corporation
- Anambra State Broadcasting Corporation
- Borno State Broadcasting Corporation
- Yobe State Broadcasting Corporation
- Sokoto State Broadcasting Corporation
- Zamfara State Broadcasting Corporation
- Kebbi State Broadcasting Corporation
- Jigawa State Broadcasting Corporation
- Kaduna State Broadcasting Corporation
- Katsina State Broadcasting Corporation