Kwara Governor Disburses $500 To Pilgrims Defrauded In Medina

Tunde Akanbi, Ilorin

0
761

The Kwara State Governor, North Central Nigeria, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has come to the rescue of several state pilgrims in Saudi Arabia who were defrauded of their Basic Travel Allowance (BTA), offering $500 to each of the affected individuals as compensation.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Executive Secretary of the Kwara State Muslim Pilgrims’ Welfare Board, AbdulSalam Abdulkadir, on Saturday from the holy land .

The statement followed viral reports and video footage showing some Kwara pilgrims lamenting that they received one-dollar bills in place of $100 notes they were earlier given.

The Board, after an investigation, clarified that every pilgrim was initially issued the approved $500 BTA in five $100 bills in the presence of security personnel and officials.

The disbursement, it said, was conducted publicly and under the supervision of the Directorate of State Security (DSS), which verified the authenticity of the currency.

Each recipient also signed documentation confirming receipt after counting the funds.

Preliminary findings by the Board indicated that the fraud likely occurred after the pilgrims had arrived in Medina.

“In several cases, the affected individuals—mostly elderly and not familiar with foreign currencies—had sought help from strangers to convert their funds into Saudi Riyals

“These unscrupulous individuals apparently took advantage of their vulnerability by swapping $100 bills with $1 bills under the guise of assisting them with currency exchange.”

Describing the act as “evil,” the Board said further investigations are ongoing to identify and bring the perpetrators to justice.

In the meantime, Governor AbdulRazaq has approved the immediate disbursement of another $500 to each of the defrauded pilgrims to cushion their losses. “We ask Allaah to reward His Excellency’s swift and compassionate intervention,” the statement read in part.

The Governor had earlier visited Kwara pilgrims in their hotel in Mecca, where he also provided financial support to all the pilgrims to help with their local expenses.

Reacting to the broader implications of the fraud, the Pilgrims’ Board expressed support for the Central Bank of Nigeria’s proposed shift from cash disbursement to preloaded debit cards for BTAs. “This will enhance transparency, reduce the risk of theft or fraud, and ensure that all pilgrims especially the elderly can manage their funds more securely,” it added.

The Board condemned the activities of those who exploited the goodwill of the pilgrims and called on the public to volunteer credible information that could aid the arrest and prosecution of the culprits.

He underscores the state government’s commitment to the welfare of its pilgrims and the need for improved safeguards in future.

 

 

 

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here