Tennis: Australian Nick Kyrgios Withdraws From US Open
Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the US Open tournament, the United States Tennis Association (USTA) said, as his injury problems showed no signs of easing in 2023.
Kyrgios, 28, pulled out of the Australian Open and had surgery on his left knee earlier in the year. He was beaten in his comeback match after a five-month layoff when he fell to China’s Wu Yibing in the Stuttgart Open first round in June.
World number 92 Kyrgios missed the French Open due to a foot injury suffered during the theft of his car and he pulled out of Wimbledon with a wrist ligament issue that has forced him out of New York as well.
“Heartbroken about the US Open. Will be back … My wrist is not ready yet to compete,” Kyrgios, who has played only one ATP match all season, wrote on Instagram.
The injury problems come after a stellar 2022 campaign in which Kyrgios reached the Wimbledon final, captured the Washington title and made the quarter-finals at Flushing Meadows.
Germany Jan-Lennard Struff has also withdrawn from the US Open, the USTA said.
Due to the withdrawals, Argentina’s Facundo Diaz Acosta and Diego Schwartzman move into the main draw. The season’s final Grand Slam runs from August 28th – 10th September, 2023.
Nick Kyrgios, a 2022 quarterfinalist, is out of this year’s US Open.
Hope to you see back on the court soon, Nick! pic.twitter.com/sbQNKnyL8n
— US Open Tennis (@usopen) August 10, 2023