The World Health Organization says there have been 36 Ebola cases in Uganda – 18 confirmed and 18 probable cases – since an outbreak was declared last week.
It said “23 deaths had occurred in three districts of central Uganda, of which five were confirmed cases.”
The WHO said this was the first Ebola outbreak in Uganda since 2012 caused by the Sudan strain of the disease, for which there are “no licensed vaccines.”
On Monday, Uganda denied reports of a strike by medical staff at the Mubende hospital.
Thirty-four trainee medical staff said “they were refusing to work and accused the government of not providing them with appropriate safety kits.”
BBC /Shakirat Sadiq