Flood: Oyo Government to Replace Destroyed Culvert with 2-Span Bridge

From Olubunmi Osoteku, Ibadan

0 364

The Oyo State Government has assured residents of the Olodo area of Ibadan and its environs that it would replace the culvert under construction, washed away by a heavy downpour, with a 2-span bridge, to mitigate against flood recurrence in the area.

The Director, Press and Public Relations, Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism, Mr Rotimi Babalola, disclosed this in a statement released on Wednesday, in Ibadan.

Assuring residents of Olodo road and its environs, the Permanent Secretary (PS), Ministry of Public Works and Transport, Tajudeen Raji, revealed that a proactive measure to replace the culvert under construction was underway.

Speaking during an inspection of the site of the flood, the PS noted that the culvert was not adequate to accommodate the volume of water arising from the heavy rain, and the additional 6×4 culvert under construction had not been channeled yet, thereby causing flooding in the adjoining areas.

Raji therfore said the Oyo State Government, under the leadership of Governor Seyi Makinde, had decided to replace the culvert with a 2-span bridge.

He stated, “On Tuesday, last week, there was a heavy downpour that resulted in serious flooding of this area. The existing culvert and the additional culvert under construction could not accommodate the volume of water, so, as a result, there was a spillover that affected the free flow of traffic.

“This is what necessitated the plan to replace the existing culvert to a 2-span bridge so that the subsequent heavy rainfall could be contained and undesirable flooding will be averted,” the PS explained.

He disclosed that after paying an on-the-spot assessment to the site of the bridge in order to have a proper assessment of the situation on the ground, it was discovered that it is better to have a 2-span bridge, about 30 meters of 15 meters each, saying with the two openings from every 15meters, the water would be able to flow freely no matter the volume of water and by implication prevent the flooding of the area.

The PS said the contractor handling the project was aware of the complaints from the residents and had assured that the construction work would be accelerated, assuring the community and all road users that there would be significant improvement in the speed of the construction works in order to ensure timely completion of the project.

Raji noted, “Besides, we are in the rainy season. It is expected that the rain is bound to have a draw down on the speed of the construction work. Notwithstanding, the contractor has promised to expedite action on the work, and that the construction works shall be completed at the soonest possible time.”

He appealed to the residents to bear with the Oyo State Government and reassured them that a proactive action had been taken to prevent a recurrence in the future, affirming that Governor Seyi Makinde was committed to the welfare and economic rejuvenation of the citizens of the state.

Speaking earlier, the Project Manager, Peculiar Ultimate Concern Limited, Mr Eleta Israel, explained that with the new approval to replace the Culvert to a Bridge, the project would be ready soon.

He disclosed that a palliative measure had been put in place to ease traffic in terms of filling the potholes and the expansion of the construction area.