Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy charged with rape
Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been charged with rape.
The 27-year-old defender was charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault, Cheshire Police said.
The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August this year.
Mr Mendy, of Prestbury, has been remanded in custody and will appear at Chester Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
The left-back has played for Manchester City since he joined from Monaco for a reported £52m in 2017.
A police spokesman said: “Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he has a right to a fair trial.”
Manchester City said the defender, who also plays for the French national team, had been suspended pending an investigation.
“The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete,” the club added.