U.S. President Donald Trump has warned that countries providing economic or financial support to Iran could face severe consequences as Washington seeks to end the nearly six-month war involving the United States, Israel and Iran.
President Trump, in a social media post on Wednesday, threatened “Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale,” warning that countries allowing their financial institutions, businesses, airports or government entities to provide “any type of lifeline to Iran” would face “TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences.”
The conflict has killed thousands and disrupted global markets, with Iran demonstrating its ability to restrict shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a key route that previously carried about one-fifth of globally traded oil.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi accused Trump of trying to divert attention from U.S. economic challenges, including record debt and rising interest rates.
“America’s economic terrorism threatens the global economy and the national sovereignty of countries around the world,” Araqchi said on X.
US President did not specify what measures Washington would impose, while his threats could potentially affect U.S. allies involved in peace efforts. The United Arab Emirates, which hosts a major U.S. military base, has meanwhile suspended trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran until further notice.
China remains Iran’s largest oil buyer, purchasing more than 80% of its shipped crude in 2025, according to Kpler data. However, tougher U.S. measures against China could risk retaliation given Beijing’s importance as a supplier of critical goods, including rare earth minerals.
Despite the pressure, Iran says it remains willing to engage in dialogue but will not accept surrender. Mohammad Mokhber, an adviser to Iran’s supreme leader, said military pressure and sanctions would not weaken Tehran’s resolve.
READ ALSO: Strait of Hormuz to Stay Closed – Iran
Trump has denied that talks are taking place, although his son-in-law and special envoy, Jared Kushner, recently said negotiations remained active and were “probably more robust” than ever.
The U.S. president is seeking to secure Iran’s highly enriched uranium stockpile and negotiate a stricter nuclear agreement to replace the deal he withdrew the United States from in 2018. Iran maintains that its nuclear programme is peaceful.

