NAF dismisses Boko Haram’s Video on Alpha Jet as propaganda

0 736

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has dismissed claims by Boko haram that it shot down the missing Alpha jet which disappeared from radar on 31st March, 2021 while conducting operations against insurgents in Maiduguri, Borno State.

Boko Haram had through a viral video clip released earlier on Friday claimed responsibility for downing the aircraft.

One of such videos, in particular, began with sporadic shooting by several terrorists, including underaged children on motorcycles and vehicles. It later skipped abruptly to a scene depicting an aircraft exploding mid-air, supposedly as a result of enemy action.

Another part of the video showed a terrorist, who, while standing by the wreckage, claimed that they had shot down the NAF aircraft.

In a statement, the Director of Public Relations and Information of the Nigerian Air Force, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet dismissed the claim, describing it as false.

“Although the video is still being thoroughly analysed, it is evident that most parts of the video were deliberately doctored to give the false impression that the aircraft was shot down. For instance, the video clip failed to show the correlation between the sporadic shooting, which even from casual observation was obviously aimed at ground targets, and the sudden mid-air aircraft explosion. In addition, it is almost impossible for an aircraft to have exploded mid-air, in the manner depicted in the video, and still have a good part of its fuselage, including its tail, intact. Indeed, an explosive impact of that nature would have scattered the debris of the aircraft across several miles,’’ the statement reads.

It said; “It is obvious that the Boko Haram Sect, in its characteristic manner of employing false propaganda, is seeking to claim credit for what was obviously an air accident that could have been caused by several other reasons; particularly at a time when the capability of the group to inflict mayhem has been significantly degraded by the Armed Forces of Nigeria.’’

The NAF advised Nigerians to ignore the contents of the videos making the rounds until all investigations as to how the aircraft crashed are completed.

The NAF said it remained resolute and would continue to work assiduously, in synergy with sister Services and other security agencies, to rid the North East of all terrorist elements.

 

PR/Mercy Chukwudiebere

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *