HomeNigeriaFCT Minister Orders Crackdown On Illegal Bus Loading

FCT Minister Orders Crackdown On Illegal Bus Loading

By Hudu Yakubu Abuja

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered a fresh crackdown on commercial vehicles loading passengers outside designated bus and taxi terminals across Abuja.

Wike warned that vehicles caught operating from unauthorised locations would be impounded and auctioned as part of measures to restore discipline and ease traffic congestion in the nation’s capital.

The minister issued the warning on Saturday after inspecting some ongoing projects in Abuja, expressing frustration over persistent traffic violations and the continued practice of roadside passenger loading by commercial transport operators.

He said the Mabushi and Central Business District bus and taxi terminals were fully operational and had been provided as designated locations for commercial vehicles to load and offload passengers.

Wike said previous attempts to enforce compliance through less stringent measures had failed, stressing that the FCT Administration was now prepared to take tougher action against persistent offenders.

“We don’t think that we should enforce, or people should obey rules, until you use force.

“The bus and taxi terminals are accredited places for people to load. They will not agree, but I can tell you, they must agree.

“We will impound their vehicle, we will sanction it and we’ll auction it,” he said.

The minister said the administration would no longer tolerate what he described as persistent disregard for traffic regulations and designated loading points.

Using strong language to underscore the need for strict enforcement, Wike said the authorities would adopt whatever measures were necessary to restore order.

“You can’t be sane in an insane environment. For you to be able to let those who are insane do what they’re supposed to do, you, too, must source an element of insanity.

“For that purpose, we’ll use a small level of madness in us, and then they will understand that they must obey the rules,” he said.

Wike explained that the Mabushi and Central Business District bus terminals were designed to centralise public transportation, reduce roadside congestion and improve security and traffic management across Abuja.

He, however, expressed concern that many commercial drivers continued to ignore the accredited terminals in favour of unauthorised pick-up points, contributing to traffic congestion and disorder.

The minister warned that the enforcement operation would commence immediately, insisting that commercial transport operators had no alternative but to comply with the regulations.

“Don’t worry, they have no choice. They will obey. We will carry them, and we will impound their vehicles. Watch what will happen,” he said.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments